Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Reality of Promotional Products

First off I want to apologize for neglecting my blog. I promise to work harder in updating on a daily basis.

Promotional products should be a reflection of you and your brand. Choosing the right promotional item(s) that tie into your event or branding strategy is something that most marketing departments think about but sometimes never follow through on.

Let’s use pens for example. The only time a company should give away a pen, in my opinion, is as a throw away gift. By that I mean as a giveaway item that just sits out for everyone to get their hands on...because we all know that everyone loves free stuff. But if your message is of another nature such as being "Eco-Friendly" then you should spend a little more to invest in an "Eco-Friendly" pen and I don't mean the kind that is made of card board. I mean the ones that are made from Corn Plastic and are 100% Biodegradable.

This is an option that a motivated and knowledgeable Promotional Professional, such as myself, would know to ask, suggest and provide.

Now...for the nitty griddy down and dirty facts:
1. More than HALF of consumers are impressed with an advertiser on a promotional product, versus 33% of print, 27% for TV and 11% for online advertisers
2. 20% of consumers make a purchase after receiving a promotional product, versus just 7% who do so after seeing a commercial
3. 74% of consumers can recall the advertiser and product/service/message featured on a promotional product, versus 60% of TV commercials, 55% for print ads and 29% of online ads.
4. 8 out of 10 people like receiving promotional products while 7 out of 10 people find online advertising to have a high annoyance factor
5. 9 out of 10 people own a promotional product
6. This one I think is the most important one to remember...7 out of 10 people keep their product if they can use it.

**the above statistics were based on How the Media Compare on Reach, Recall & Reaction and Effectiveness of Promotional Products As An Advertising Medium - a 2009 two-part study conducted by PPAI Research and Fielding through MarketTool, Inc.

My goal is to position myself as an extension of your marketing department and to be available for banter back and forth about what would work best for your ultimate goal. I'm not saying you have to listen and take my advise but at least take note...this is what I do...and what I love doing!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment